About us

The Department of Rheumatology was founded in 1918 by Dr. Veraguth as Associate Professor of Physical Therapy and Director of the University Institute of Physical Medicine and continually developed ever since.

2011, the Institute of Physical Medicine was separated from the Department of Rheumatology. In recent years the Department of Rheumatology specialized in autoimmune diseases (connective tissue diseases, vasculitis and arthritis), diseases of the back and the joints.

The Department of Rheumatology offers both highly specialised diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, which are in high demand by other hospitals, established rheumatologists and the other clinics at the University Hospital.